Founded and organized on February 7, 1904, St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church was the first, and now at 118 years old, is the oldest Lutheran Congregation founded among the Slovak people in the State of Indiana.
From 1904 until 1908 our church services were held on Clark Street in downtown Whiting.
The Congregation built and dedicated a new church (shown above) in June 1908, at our present location, at 1801 Atchison Avenue.
The Luther League of the Slovak Evangelical Lutheran Churches
(now know as the Synod of Evangelical Lutheran Churches [SELC]) was organized on September 5, 1927, in St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church, Whiting, Indiana.
A Youth Organization, the Luther League launched campaigns for Luther Haven seals, Lutheran Beacon subscriptions, a scholarship fund, as well as
a mission project to support a vicar at a mission church, and publication of the Luther League periodical, the Courier.
Since 1971 the SELC is a district of LCMS.
The 1908 Church was replaced by the current church building (shown below), which was dedicated in 1957, with the following prayer from then-Pastor John Samuel Bradac, D.D. ...
A MESSAGE FROM THE PASTOR
With joy and thanksgiving do we come before Thee, O God of our fathers;
and on this Day when we dedicate our new House of worship, we wish to give all
honor and glory to you, saying with the Psalmist: "Not unto us, O Lord, not
unto us, but unto Thy name give glory, for thy mercy, and for thy truth's sake."
Yes, it was the Lord who has blessed our labors, answered our prayers and
has permitted us to build this beautiful church as a place where His honor is to
dwell. After a long time of deliberation, study and planning as to the type of
architecture, the size of the church and its Educational wing, the good and
gracious Lord and Savior Jesus Christ guided us through all these long months.
Today, on this Second Sunday after Trinity, June 30, 1957, we see our trust and
faith rewarded and our humble efforts crowned with success. The good Lord did
not fail us. We are dedicating today this beautiful church of ours to His glory
and the service of His Church in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of
the Holy Ghost.
Within the walls of this church we shall proclaim the whole counsel of God
as it is revealed in the sacred Scriptures of the Holy Bible, and here in this
sanctuary we shall administer the Holy Sacraments according to Christ's institution.
Here in this House of God we shall seek help and instruction in the confused world
of ours, forgiveness and peace to our Christ-bought souls, and consolation and
comfort in all our crosses and tribulations.
With grateful hearts and minds we wish to join with Solomon praying: "The
Lord our God be with us, as He was with our father; let Him not leave us, nor
foresake us. That He may incline our hearts unto him, to walk in His ways,
and to keep his commandments, and his statutes, and his judgments, which He
commanded our fathers." (1 Kings, 8:57-58)
John Samuel Bradac, D.D., Pastor
Our Lutheran History
As Lutherans we are part of the oldest and largest Protestant group in the world.
The Bible is very important to Lutherans-we take very seriously the message of the Scriptures from Genesis to
Revelation. From Scripture we learn that we are all sinful, but that people are made right with God and have their
sins forgiven through faith in Jesus Christ and His death for us on the cross, without any merit on our
part. And because of Jesus' resurrection we are assured of everlasting life, and recognize God's loving presence and
help in our lives today.